1. HOW DO I APPLY AND WHAT QUALIFICATIONS MUST APPLICANTS POSSESS TO APPLY FOR THE COLAFW EMERGING FASHION STYLIST COMPETITION?
- Submit an online application and details about collections you have previously shown or styled.
- If Stylist is selected to showcase at Columbia Fashion Week is $150. Stylist must pay 50% of showcase fees ($75.00) within 72 hours of invite and the remaining 50% ($75.00) by February 20, 2021.
- Must include digital portfolio of styled looks to be considered for competition. (IG, FB or other social media platforms will suffice), or upload pics in form.
- Submission must be made by February 20, 2021 to be considered for the competition. Late submissions: Stylists will need to contact firstname.lastname@example.org. If spots are available, Stylists must pay an additional $100 processing fee.
- There are no age restrictions are required for the competition applicants. Applicants under 18 will need parental/guardian permission to apply.
1. Stylist must meet a minimum of one of the following:
- Previously studied or currently be studying at a fashion program, and/or work under a recognizable designer.
- Have a design/style business or designing/styling for a minimum of one year.
- Demonstrate experience with styling quality looks/collection.
3. If under 18 years of age, stylist must have parental permission and have a parent or legal guardian sign a waiver to participate if chosen as a Semifinalist.
- Style/curate a collection with thrift stores being the source of your collection.
- Collections will be created based on a theme selected my fashion stylists (majority wins) which will be announce by Columbia Fashion Week.
#2 ARE SKETCHES AND GARMENT IMAGES REQUIRED FOR APPLICATION SUBMISSION?
Stylist must submit a collection of five (5) garments that have been styled from either a past or existing collection that the applicant styled. Or, the collection the applicant plans to show at Columbia Fashion Week.
Images to include:
One (1) full-length image per garment for a total or five images.
#3 WHAT SEASON SHOULD MY COLLECTION FOCUS ON?
We recommend Fashion Stylists present a collection for the next season: Fall/Winter. However, this is left up to the sole discretion of each Applicant.
#4 HOW MANY LOOKS SHOULD BE INCLUDED IN MY COLLECTION PRESENTED AT COLAFW?
Fashion Stylists collections will consist of 7-10 complete looks to be shown on the runway Thursday, June 24, 2021.
#5 IF SELECTED AS A STYLIST APPLICANT, WHEN AND HOW WILL I BE NOTIFIED?
All applicants will be notified within 72 hours of registration. Stylists must confirm acceptance into the competition within 72 hours or they may be disqualified.
#7 IS THERE A FINANCIAL OBLIGATION TO PARTICIPATE IN THE EMERGING STYLISTS COMPETITION?
Columbia Fashion Week requires a $150 to enter the Emerging Fashion Stylists Competition. Applicants will be responsible for all costs associated with designing/creating looks for the collection – shoes, accessories, and any special hair and makeup pieces used for the show. Stylists are also responsible for their own travel to/from Columbia (see details below) for production meetings and the week of the event, transporting their collection, and meals.
#8 IF SELECTED AS A EMERGING FASHION STYLIST, WILL TRAVEL TO/FROM COLUMBIA AND ACCOMMODATIONS IN COLUMBIA BE PROVIDED?
Emerging Fashion Stylists are responsible for the following:
#9 IF SELECTED FOR THE EMERGING FASHION STYLIST COMPETITION WHAT TIME COMMITMENT WILL BE REQUIRED?
Emerging Fashion Stylists MUST commit to mandatory production meetings and model fittings.
Optional to be on-site at final rehearsals and must be present during the shows on both Thursday and Saturday
#10 WHAT TAKES PLACE AT THE PRODUCTION MEETINGS AND WHY IS IT MANDATORY?
Emerging Fashion Stylists will film their introductory videos, meet and fit models, discuss hair and makeup vision, music, social media, what to expect and more.
#11 IF SELECTED AS AN EMERGING FASHION STYLIST , HOW WILL I CREATE MY COLUMBIA FASHION WEEK RUNWAY SHOW (CHOOSE MODELS, MUSIC, HAIR/MAKEUP LOOKS, SHOES, ETC.)?
Columbia Fashion Week will produce the Emerging Fashion Stylist Competition runway show in coordination with each designer/stylist. COLAFW will provide models, approved music, hair/makeup direction. The runway, lighting, video, sound and show production are at the sole discretion of COLAFW. Stylists are responsible for the collection designs, shoes, accessories, and any approved special hair or makeup pieces.
#12 CAN I — USE MY OWN MODELS FOR THE RUNWAY SHOW?
Only models cast and selected for Columbia Fashion Week may be used for an Emerging Fashion Stylists runway show. COLAFW will make final selections based on overall event and production needs.
#13 WHEN WILL STYLISTS SHOW THEIR COLLECTION?
Emerging Fashion Stylists show their their collection on Thursday and the winner will showcase their collection on finale night. The Fashion Panel of judges will select one (1) Top Emerging Fashion Stylist Winner after the competition on Thursday.
#14 DO EMERGING FASHION STYLISTS RECEIVE TICKETS TO COLUMBIA FASHION WEEK?
Each Emerging Stylists will receive one (1) ticket for Fashion Mixer on Wednesday. Stylists must report backstage prior to the show beginning and must remain backstage until end of showcase.