1. HOW DO I APPLY & QUALIFY TO SHOWCASE AT COLUMBIA FASHION WEEK?
- Submit an online application with details about the collection you would showcase at Columbia Fashion Week, upload sketches and sample garments for the collection.
- Submit $50 application processing fee to review and ensure designer meet qualifications to showcase at Columbia Fashion Week.
- Late submissions: Designers/Retailers will need to contact firstname.lastname@example.org. If spots are available, Designer must pay an additional $100 processing fee.
A Designer must meet a minimum of two of the following:
- Previously studied or currently studying at a fashion program, and/or work under a recognizable designer.
- Have a design/style business or designing/styling for a minimum of one year.
- Demonstrate experience with fabric and/or textiles and consistently produce quality garments.
Designer must be a legal resident of the United States.
2. IS THERE A FINANCIAL OBLIGATION TO SHOWCASE A COLLECTION AT COLUMBIA FASHION WEEK?
The total cost to showcase a collection at Columbia Fashion Week is $275.00 ($50 application fee included).
Columbia Fashion Week requires a processing fee of $50 to apply as a designer. If all requirements above are met and the applicant is selected as a designer, the applicant is required to pay 50% of showcase fees ($112.50) within 30 days of invite and the remaining 50% ($112.50) by March 1st, 2021, to secure designer spot at Columbia Fashion Week. In addition, applicants will be responsible for all costs associated with designing/creating looks for the collection – shoes, accessories, and any special hair and makeup pieces used for the show. Designers are also responsible for their own travel to/from Columbia, SC (see details below) for fittings/rehearsals, transportation, and meals.
- There is an additional $100 late fee for any payment made after March 1st or by April 1st.
- No payments will be accepted after April 1st and designer forfeits any payments made.
**For designers and retailers, online applications must be submitted by Feb 20, 2021 at 9:00 p.m. (noon) EST to be considered to showcase a collection at Columbia Fashion Week.
Designer Showcase Package Includes:
- Social Media Promotion
- Designer bio and link to designs on Columbia Fashion Week website
- Press release announcing showcase with Columbia Fashion Week
- Access to Model Look Book
- Access to Hair/Makeup
- Digital photos of runway
- 1 VIP ticket to Fashion Mixer
- Discount codes for fashion week events
- 50% OFF Vendor Booth
- Included in Columbia Fashion Week Magazine
- Gift bag items included in VIP swag bags
3. ARE SKETCHES AND GARMENT IMAGES REQUIRED FOR APPLICATION SUBMISSION?
- Designers must submit a collection of sketches or renderings of 3-4 garments or pieces to be featured in the proposed collection for COLAFW:
- One (1) full-length image per garment.
- One (1) detail image per garment for a total of two images. For example, a texture, hardware, and/or other element that makes the garment special.
- Images need to be of professional quality and on a model or mannequin.
4. WHAT SEASON SHOULD MY COLLECTION FOCUS ON?
We recommend Designers and Retailers present a collection for the next season: Fall/Winter 2021. However, this is left up to the sole discretion of each applicant.
5. HOW MANY LOOKS SHOULD BE INCLUDED IN MY COLLECTION PRESENTED AT COLAFW?
Designer/Retail collections will consist of 10-15 complete looks to be shown on the runway.
6. DO MY DESIGNS HAVE TO BE SEWN BY ME, OR AM I PERMITTED TO HAVE A SEAMSTRESS OR MANUFACTURER PRODUCE MY COLLECTION?
You are permitted to work with a seamstress or manufacturer, as long as the designs are your own.
7. IF SELECTED AS A FASHION DESIGNER, WHEN AND HOW WILL I BE NOTIFIED?
All applicants will be notified via email by February 27, 2021. Designers must confirm acceptance within 24 hours of notification.
*Designers will have access to Columbia Fashion Week look book once model auditions are completed. The last model call is February 6th and the look book will be finalized by February 20th.
*Designers must have their 1st choice and 2nd choice models chosen by March 6th.
*Designers please mark your calendar to attend Columbia Fashion Week Model Workshop on Saturday, March 13th. All models will be present on this day for rehearsal, understanding their fashion week commitments and meeting with their designers. Please be prepared to introduce yourself, set expectations for walking in your showcase, and meeting times for fittings if they are not occurring this day.
8. IF SELECTED AS A FASHION DESIGNER, WILL TRAVEL TO/FROM COLUMBIA,SC AND ACCOMMODATIONS IN COLUMBIA, SC BE PROVIDED?
Fashion Designers are responsible for the following:
- TRAVEL: Fashion Designers are responsible for their own travel to/from Columbia for both production meetings in March and the week of June.
- ACCOMMODATIONS: Fashion Designers are responsible for their own hotel accommodations for the production meetings and for the week of June.
9. WHAT TAKES PLACE IN MARCH AT THE PRODUCTION MEETINGS AND WHY IS IT MANDATORY?
In March, Fashion Designers will meet and fit models, discuss hair and makeup vision, music, and what to expect and more.
11. IF SELECTED AS A FASHION DESIGNER, HOW WILL I CREATE MY COLUMBIA FASHION WEEK RUNWAY SHOW (CHOOSE MODELS, MUSIC, HAIR/MAKEUP LOOKS, SHOES, ETC.)?
Columbia Fashion Week will produce each runway show in coordination with each designer. COLAFW will provide models, beauty team and direction. The runway, lighting, video, sound and show production are at the sole discretion of COLAFW. Designers are responsible for their music (approved by COLAFW), collection designs, shoes, accessories, and any approved special hair or makeup pieces.
12. CAN I — USE MY OWN MODELS FOR THE RUNWAY SHOW?
Only models casted and selected for Columbia Fashion Week may be used for runway show. Designers can encourage their models to submit model applications for COLAFW. COLAFW will make final selections based on overall event and production needs. Fashion Designers will fit potential models on March 13th, 2021. Additional details will be provided via email communication regarding regarding times and locations of fittings.
13. WHEN WILL DESIGNERS SHOW THEIR COLLECTION?
Fashion Designers will showcase their designs Saturday, June 26th, 2021.
14. DO DESIGNERS HAVE ACCESS TO PHOTOS FROM COLUMBIA FASHION WEEK? All participants registering with Columbia Fashion Week agrees that all photos are the property of Columbia Fashion Week, and may be used for promotional and marketing efforts. Designers can access pictures via a code provided by the Designer Coordinator following Columbia Fashion Week.
15. DO DESIGNERS RECEIVE TICKETS TO COLUMBIA FASHION WEEK?
Each Designer will receive (1) ticket to VIP Fashion Mixer and allowed (1) assistant to assist backstage. Designers must report backstage prior to the show beginning and must remain backstage on days of the showcase.