1. HOW DO I APPLY & QUALIFY TO SHOWCASE AT COLUMBIA FASHION WEEK?
Submit an online application with details about the collection you would showcase at Columbia Fashion Week, upload sketches and/or sample garments for the collection.
WHAT ARE THE QUALIFICATIONS TO SHOWCASE AT COLUMBIA FASHION WEEK: A Designer must meet a minimum of two of the following:
Previously studied or currently studying at a fashion program, and/or work under a recognizable designer.
Have a design business for a minimum of one year with an active business website OR business social media
Demonstrate experience with fabric and/or textiles and consistently produce quality garments
Accessories (i.e. shoes, bags, hats can only add to a collection but cannot be the sole focus of the collection)
Collection must be cohesive but show individuality
Designer must be a legal resident of the United States.
2. IS THERE A FINANCIAL OBLIGATION TO SHOWCASE A COLLECTION AT COLUMBIA FASHION WEEK?
The minimum cost to showcase a collection at Columbia Fashion Week is $300.00 but other packages with additional perks are available.
If all requirements above are met and the applicant is selected as a designer, the applicant is required to pay minimum of 50% of showcase fees within 7 days of invite and the remaining 60 days before showtime, to secure designer spot at Columbia Fashion Week. Full payments are accepted at time of registration. In addition, applicants will be responsible for all costs associated with designing/creating looks for the collection – shoes, accessories, and any special hair and makeup pieces used for the show. Designers are also responsible for their own travel to/from Columbia, SC (see details below) for fittings/rehearsals, transportation, and meals.
All fees are non-refundable.
There is an additional $100 late fee for any payment made after 60 days of showtime.
3. ARE SKETCHES AND GARMENT IMAGES REQUIRED FOR APPLICATION SUBMISSION?
Designers must submit a collection of quality sketches or high quality images of 7+ garments or pieces to be featured in the proposed collection for COLAFW or previous collections published and/or showcased.
Full-length image per garment.
For example, a texture, hardware, and/or other element that makes the garment special.
Images need to be of professional quality and on a model or mannequin.
4. WHAT SEASON SHOULD MY COLLECTION FOCUS ON? We recommend Designers present a collection for the next season: Fall/Winter 2022. However, this is left up to the sole discretion of each applicant. 5. HOW MANY LOOKS SHOULD BE INCLUDED IN MY COLLECTION PRESENTED AT COLAFW? Designer collections will consist of 10-15 complete looks to be shown on the runway.*Unless otherwise advised by COLAFW* 6. DO MY DESIGNS HAVE TO BE SEWN BY ME, OR AM I PERMITTED TO HAVE A SEAMSTRESS OR MANUFACTURER PRODUCE MY COLLECTION? You are permitted to work with a seamstress or manufacturer, as long as the designs are your own.
7. IF SELECTED AS A FASHION DESIGNER, WHEN AND HOW WILL I BE NOTIFIED? All applicants will be notified within 72 hours of registration.
*Designers will have access to Columbia Fashion Week look book once model auditions are completed.
8. IF SELECTED AS A FASHION DESIGNER/RETAILER, WILL TRAVEL TO/FROM COLUMBIA,SC AND ACCOMMODATIONS IN COLUMBIA, SC BE PROVIDED?
Fashion Designers are responsible for the following:
TRAVEL: Everyone is responsible for their own travel to/from Columbia for any meetings or fittings leading up to June.
ACCOMMODATIONS:Everyone is responsible for their own hotel accommodations for the production meetings and for the week of June.
9. IF SELECTED AS A FASHION DESIGNER/RETAILER, HOW WILL I CREATE MY COLUMBIA FASHION WEEK RUNWAY SHOW (CHOOSE MODELS, MUSIC, HAIR/MAKEUP LOOKS, SHOES, ETC.)? Columbia Fashion Week will produce each runway show in coordination with each designer. COLAFW will provide models, beauty team and if needed, style direction. The runway, lighting, video, sound and show production are at the sole discretion of COLAFW. Designers and Retailers are responsible for their music (approved by COLAFW), collection designs, shoes, accessories, and any approved special hair or makeup pieces. 12. CAN I — USE MY OWN MODELS FOR THE RUNWAY SHOW? Only models casted and selected for Columbia Fashion Week may be used for runway show. Designers can encourage their models to submit model applications for COLAFW. COLAFW will make final selections based on overall event and production needs. 13. WHEN WILL DESIGNERS/RETAILERS SHOW THEIR COLLECTION? TBD 14. DO DESIGNERS/RETAILERS HAVE ACCESS TO PHOTOS FROM COLUMBIA FASHION WEEK? All participants registering with Columbia Fashion Week agrees that all photos are the property of Columbia Fashion Week, and may be used for promotional and marketing efforts. Designers and Retailers can access pictures via a code provided by the Designer Coordinator following Columbia Fashion Week.
15. DO DESIGNERS RECEIVE TICKETS TO COLUMBIA FASHION WEEK? subject to week events.
16. MARKETING AGREEMENT Application Information provided may be used for marketing materials (i.e. website marketing, digital magazine, etc.)